Beaches in Florianopolis are some of the most breathtaking anywhere in the world.
This is a general overview of the beaches. To check best beaches for surfing go to Florianopolis surf (camp) section.
- Praia Mole is one of the most famous beaches on the island. It is noted for its rolling green hills and rock formations on either side. It is a very popular spot with surfers. The sand here is very white and soft. Beside surfing this is also popular place to sit and watch the waves and the people.
- Praia da Galheta is another great beach. Here clothing is optional. You can get here only by walking from Praia Mole. It is a beautiful beach and surfers, gays and families all mix here.
- Praia da Joaquina is of the best surf beaches in Florianópolis, Brazil and the whole of South America. A lot of the fame these days goes to Praia Mole, but once upon the time this was the hotspot and the surf still remains great.
- Barra da Lagoa is one of the best beach on the island for learning to surf. The waves are generally small but perfectly formed.
- The beaches of the northern coasts such as Jurerê, Canasvieiras, Lagoinha and Ponta das Canas are generally quiet for waves. Jurerê is popular with Brazilian celebrities, many of whom own houses or condos in the exclusive subdivisions. Lagoinha is a small beach backed by a small fishing village. It is one of the best sunset spots on the island
- Praia do Moçambique is the longest beach on the island. It is 19km (12-mile) long and it is protected along its entire length by an ecological reserve. It is one of the best beaches for those that are seeking quiet and solitude.
- Campeche is one of the Southern beaches and so even during the summer one can find a quiet spot there.
- Praia da Armação is a perfect beach to spot dolphins.
- Lagoinha de Leste can only be reached after 4km (2 1/2-mile) hike from Pântano do Sul or Matadeiro. It is a protected area and one of the most pristine beaches you will ever visit. The hike takes about 1:30 one way and is definitely worth the effort. This is also one of the few places for wild camping on the island.
- Praia dos Naufragados is the most southerly beach of Florianopolis. It is another beach that can only be reached by a 4km trail that runs from the end of the west coast road (SC-405).